Monday, September 3, 2007

Time

Wow. I don't really feel up to the task of crafting a blog entry entitled "Time." The concept of time is so daunting that some revere it almost to the point of worship. Others seemingly squander it in meaningless pursuits. Time is the ultimate limited resource, making it the most valuable asset you have been given. This is why it's so intimidating for me to venture into a talk about it, but ironically, it's also the reason I feel I should talk on it.

Spend time wisely, but also spend it generously. Because time is our most valuable resource, spending it is the greatest way to show our love to God and others. We are called to give monetary assets to God, (tithe) but we have other income to fall back on, and if not, there are many resources to keep you from starving. But you have no idea how much time you have left. Spending your time with God or another person is kinda like saying, "I have no idea if I'm going to die tonight,but you are the most important thing to me now." Buying wives and friends more stuff doesn't say this at all. Money can be replaced, you're not going to get a time raise from your boss and live to 200. So how much is your time worth? Whatever you're willing to sacrifice to avoid spending a given amount of time, the moment is worth even more still.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. - Luke 12:34

This is usually meant to get people to give money to prove their heart is in something. I don't know about you, but I treasure my time just as much if not more than my money. Treat time like you treat money in many ways, except that money is like the $1 chips and time is like the $100 chips. Your heart lies where your time investment lies. If you treasure time and donate 50% of your money income to the church, your treasure doesn't lie there. If you treasure time and buy your family the nicest things to occupy their time while you are spending your treasure at work, your treasure doesn't lie with your family. And neither does your heart the Bible says. Show your love by giving your time!

No comments: