Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My Small Group

My small group is breaking up in a couple weeks. It's kind of bittersweet. I consider myself very lucky to have been put with such great people. I have witnessed the greatest turnaround in my life during my tenure with these guys. I went from not attending a church in 5 years to getting way more involved than I ever thought possible and yearning for more. And I have formed relationships with people that I honestly didn't think were possible at this level. It's been great.

But the sweet part of bittersweet is that the reason we're breaking up is because we're splitting! The Dr. Rev. Billiam Eyecandy M.D.; Ph.D.; Ob.-Gyn. (I think it's a game to make Bill's name more and more ridiculous, partly because he calls Greg Gary.) is starting his own group with a couple guys from the existing one and Ben and I are going to be co-leading a group with the other guys from the existing group. I'm also starting a high school small group, but I'm not sure what the turn out of high schoolers will be. (I hope hundreds) I'm really excited. Whenever I'm doing some reading and it says something that relates to genuine community, I write it down in hopes of sharing it when my group starts. Of course I do have some pretty big fears about it along with the excitement. What if no one talks and we get done with the questions in 15 minutes and are just staring at each other. What if I go off on some rant like I feel I do too much instead of leading the discussion. What if we don't get along. Will we ever figure out what the heck is going on on Lost? How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop???? To many of these questions, the world may never know. But it's ok to be afraid. Do it anyway. :)

No comments: