Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hang in There!

I find myself saying this to people from time to time who are dealing with an issue that is not easily resolved. The thing is, I feel kinda silly saying it on a few different levels. First, it probably feels a bit condescending to have this said to you when you're going through something and the other person seems to be doing fine. I'd probably be rather quick to think "Yeah, it's really easy to hang in there when you're not dealing with it." Secondly, it just seems like "fluff." There's no meat and potatoes to practically helping them with their issue in the phrase. It is just something you're supposed to say. Thirdly, when I say this, I'm usually not really worried that they are about to stop "hanging in there." They're gonna stick it out whether I say so or not, so saying it really does nothing.

But I've come to the realization that everyone else probably came to eons ago. Do it anyway. Just because you're worried you may come off condescending doesn't mean you will. Sometimes someone who isn't dealing with the same problem can help the most. Also, it's not always just "fluff." No matter how casual the encounter, be it a pat on the back or a thumbs up, the person can walk away with a real sense of encouragement. Just because you don't think you're giving practical help, you're giving encouragement, and that's usually a big help. And even though they aren't about to stop "hanging in there" encouragement can make whatever they're going through easier. So hang in there!






Also, puppies help:

No comments: