Saturday, September 15, 2007

It's That Time Again

About this time every year, it happens. And I think it happens to everyone at some point, but I'm not really sure if I'm a little early. It's been going on all week. It's a deep longing for it, but an understanding that it can't happen yet, otherwise it'd suck. It started this Monday at work when I caught myself whistling "The First Noel!" I'm ready for Christmas! It was a little cooler today. That's gotta count for something, right? This will also be my first Christmas since I've gotten my spiritual act together!

Christmas has never been a big thing at my house. It's been probably 10 years since we've put up a tree. I think I went out for Chinese last Christmas with my dad like that Christmas Story movie that plays for 24 hours on TBS. (not kidding) I can't remember if we did gifts or not. But Christmas at my mom's house is incredible! She usually starts shopping in march. And on more than a couple occasions she's told me she had already bought my gift mid summer. She eats Christmas up! She decorates everything. She has a "Christmas version" of everything in the whole house. Suddenly, there appear Christmas coasters, glasses, plates, serving dishes, even a little Christmas-esque mouthwash cup dispenser in the bathrooms. Plus everything is covered in fake holly. (except the ceiling fans since the fateful season 1999) She has probably 4-5 nativity scene figurine sets that go in different rooms. She has a whole wardrobe of Christmas clothes, and seasonal music is played constantly. Also it seems every homemaking woman has their "thing" that they simply must have every version of. My aunt's is lighthouses. At her house there is about 10 things related to a lighthouse in every room. My mom's is angels. She has crystal angels, porcelain angels, wooden angels, angel ornaments, even a little tin angel that hangs in her kitchen. Plus! Oh my freaking Lord she can cook! Oh my gosh I can't take this anymore. I'll have to get back to you after I get some supper. (and yes, it's "supper" not "dinner")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Adam. I am a freak when it comes to Christmas. I will be rocking Christmas time and I guarantee lots of Christmasy things will happen with everybody. I've already got ideas. I go all out for Christmas.