Sunday, August 26, 2007

Longevity

I'm realizing more and more that I really, truly desire longevity. Not so much for my body, (that may interest me later) but for my patience on God. I have placed all my trust in Him, and I'll do whatever He says as long as I'm certain it's Him that's speaking. But it seems that after I agree to wait on Him, like a little impatient kid, I'm asking, "Are we there yet???" and "Ooh how about we go this way???" Now don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for the advances He's helped me make in this area. Formerly, if I got impatient, I would do the equivalent of opening the car door and jumping out instead of asking if we were there yet, with usually equivalent physical/spiritual injuries. I now completely surrender to His will, I just think I must annoy the crap out of Him with all my silly suggestions. He's the one with the freaking map! He's got google maps memorized! What the heck am I even basing my suggested alterations to my path on? (Sorry I ended a sentence with a preposition there, I don't care.)

I just wish that the peacefulness that's associated with relying on God had a little more, well, a lot more longevity. But, of course, if we were on autopilot like that, we'd feel we didn't need God so much anymore. Where we live, where we work, who we marry etc. are just details that represent the process we went through of learning to trust God. The process is the point! (I didn't intend on this turning into a thievery of pastor's previous sermon point, but it just came to mind.) Now that I mention it, I think I'll start thanking God for keeping me unsettled. It helps me remember to go to Him, and draws us much closer.

Good talk.

No comments: