Tuesday, November 6, 2007

What If...

Our salvation doesn't depend on the salvation of others. If you have accepted Jesus Christ then you are going to heaven because of the awesome grace of God. Sure, there are other things that we are supposed to do; get baptized, spread the Gospel, be kind to others, etc. But those aren't necessarily requirements to getting to spend eternity with God. But I think we as Christians take this for granted.

What if our salvation did depend on the salvation of others? (I'm not suggesting it does; I just want to use the thought as an illustration.) What if we had to share the Gospel with a minimum of 10 people per day? What if half of those were required to accept Jesus per day in order for your salvation to be finalized? (these requirements are just made up off the top of my head of course) If this was the case, our behavior would be much different as Christians. We would be desperate for others salvation; it would be imperative.

But we should already be viewing the things Christians should be doing as requirements to get into heaven!

Now while I understand that truly investigating every facet of the concept of converting the "should's" of Christianity into "must's" would turn up a plethora of inconsistencies, I think when it is considered in the sole facet of how it would change our priorities, it reveals that many of us take the "should's" less seriously that we ought. Now you seem like a canny lad/lassie, so I don't suppose that any of this should cause you to fret over my cryptic explanation of a concept that seemed so clear and profound in my head just minutes before. (I hope!)

Moral of the story: Getting saved wasn't the finish line, it was signing up for the race.

3 comments:

michael k said...

hey adam. I got a new email and please give it to benjamin.

michaeljk@windstream.net

see you tommorrow

Robert Summers said...

I like it. A very good mentality to have. What if....

michael k said...

very intuitive Mister Adam.