Monday, October 15, 2007

It's OK to be Bossy Sometimes

There are some who are bossy all the time, and then there are some who are worried to impose the slightest thing at times. I've witnessed a striking dichotomy in the behavior of volunteers at Elevation between Church related things and everything else. It's not uncommon for someone on Sunday to ask a huge favor from a stranger, and then during the week to feel uncomfortable asking a small favor from a friend. This is very interesting to me.

After thinking about it for a while, a thought popped into my mind about something Pastor said a few sermons back. He said that when we're volunteering for Elevation, we are to act with the authority and commission of Jesus Christ. This makes so much sense!! Of course we're a bit more bossy when the Name of Jesus is at stake! Jesus was insistent! Jesus was bossy!

When you ask someone to help you out with something late on a Monday night, sure you might feel like you're being a little imposing. But when you're doing work that is unquestionably commissioned by God such as advancing His Kingdom, you have a duty get it done the best way possible. You wouldn't be avoiding imposing on someone by not asking them to help you, you'd be denying them an opportunity to get in on an obviously super move of God. (There are a TON of times that it's REALLY hard to see what I do as an opportunity to serve God, but it boils down to just that. Every once in a while I can feel Him giving me an "Atta boy!" and a pat on the back and that realigns me for a while longer.)

I'm not asking someone to do something because I'm lazy, or because I like to be in control. I do it because Jesus Christ has commissioned me and given me His authority to do a job and getting help is the best way to get it done.

1 comment:

michael k said...

Hey Adam! Its michael from small group. just wanted to give you the good news...I got the job at the hospital! Oh and I thought Id give this whole blogging thing a try. drop a comment sometime!

your bud.